Thursday, March 23, 2006

Jesus--Our First Allegiance

Some of you are much more trendy than me, so don't snort that cynical laugh too loudly on what you're about to read (hey, loan me your music once in a while!). In doing some surfing this morning, I came across these lyrics from Derek Webb and his album "Mockingbird."

I know it's old news to some of you on the cutting edge of contemporary music (or is that contemptible music?). But guys like me don't get away from Bach very often. I thought they tied in well to yesterday's post.

A King & A Kingdom
(vs. 1)
who's your brother, who's your sister
you just walked passed him
i think you missed her
as we're all migrating to the place where our father lives
'cause we married in to a family of immigrants
(chorus)
my first allegiance is not to a flag, a country, or a man
my first allegiance is not to democracy or blood
it's to a king & a kingdom

(vs. 2)
there are two great lies that i’ve heard:
“the day you eat of the fruit of that tree, you will not surely die”
and that Jesus Christ was a white, middle-class republican
and if you wanna be saved you have to learn to be like Him

(chorus)

That Jesus was a white, middle-class republican seems less and less plausible every day.

No comments: