Sunday, April 27, 2014

A Prayer from the Valley of Vision

O Lord God, who inhabits eternity,
The heavens declare your glory,
The earth your riches,
The universe is your temple;
Your presence fills immensity,
Yet You have of your pleasure created life,
and communicated happiness;
You have made me what I am,
and given me what I have;
In You I live and move and have my being;
Your providence has set the bounds of my habitation,
and wisely administers all my affairs.
I thank You for your riches to me in Jesus,
for the unclouded revelation of him in your Word,
where I behold his Person, character, grace, glory,
humiliation, sufferings, death, and resurrection;
Give me to feel a need of his continual saviourhood,
and cry with Job, ʻI am vileʼ,
with Peter, ʻI perishʼ,
with the publican, ʻBe merciful to me, a sinnerʼ.
Subdue in me the love of sin,
Let me know the need of renovation
as well as of forgiveness,
in order to serve and enjoy You for ever.
I come to You in the all-prevailing name of Jesus,
with nothing of my own to plead,
no works, no worthiness, no promises.
I am often straying,
often knowingly opposing your authority,
often abusing your goodness;
Much of my guilt arises from my religious privileges,
my low estimation of them,
my failure to use them to my advantage,
But I am not careless of your favor or regardless of your glory;
Impress me deeply with a sense of your omnipresence,
that You are about my path,
my ways, my lying down, my end.

No comments: