Friday, April 01, 2011

What I'm Reading


Here's a quick disclaimer--it's not the only thing I'm reading! While some of my intellectual skills have degenerated to a fourth grade level, I still manage to read SOME stimulating literature. But I did manage to grab this whimsical book on a recent trip to the library.

I don't mean any disrespect to author Tom Burns, but the book does give me hope for becoming an author some day. I mean, how hard can throwing together some very common, pithy colloquiums along with some animal photographs, be? And again, no disrespect intended to Mr. Burns, but his 2005 book that retailed for $8.95 is going for the illustrious $0.01 used on Amazon.com ($.0.50 new).

Here's some that caught my eye:

Hospitality is making your guests feel at home...
...even if you wish they were.

Borrow money from pessimists--they don't expect it back.

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

These piqued my interest:

42.7 percent of statistics are made up on the spot.

Research shows that 14 out of 10 people like chocolate.

A recent survey shows that three out of four people make up 75 percent of the world's population.

I think those last three underscored for me, the reality that truth can be ridiculously subjective, unless, of course, it is grounded in something bigger than you or me, or a Republican or Democrat. It's way too common to be watching a talk show with opposing heralds bantering back and forth and one will state something along the lines that we can make statistics say anything we want. The notorious political polls have biased questions designed to illicit a certain outcome.

Not so with God's Word, the Bible. It is truth. It will save you from eternal damnation. It will teach you the mind of Jesus and the holy ways of God. It is truth.

No comments: