Thursday, September 03, 2009

There Is Nowhere God Isn't -- The Omnipresence of God

Psalm 139: 7-12
7Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence? 8If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there. 9If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; 10Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. 11If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me. 12Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.

I have three quick thoughts about this passage and its truth, usually labeled as an attribute of God as “omnipresence”.

It is a clear teaching of the Bible.

AW Tozer (Knowledge of the Holy) wrote: “Few other truths are taught in the Scriptures with as great clarity as the doctrine of the divine omnipresence. Those passages supporting this truth are so plain that it would take considerable effort to misunderstand them. They declare that God is imminent in His creation, that there is no place in heaven or earth or hell where men may hide from His presence. They teach that God is at once far off and near, and that in Him men move and live and have their being.”

It should stop Christians from sinning.

Charles Spurgeon (Treasury of David) wrote:“This makes it dreadful work to sin; for we offend the Almighty to his face, and commit acts of treason at the very foot of his throne. Go from him, or flee from him we cannot: neither by patient travel nor by hasty flight can we withdraw from the all-surrounding Deity.”

It should encourage lonely Christians.

Andrew Bonar (Christ and His Church in the Psalms) wrote “What a comforting thought to a believer! If God’s eye is on me, then I am blessed, though I be obscure, and though I suffer unheeded by man. He is with the prisoner in the Inquisition, with the soldier, the sailor, the miner; yes, he is so truly with his saints, that wherever their dust may be laid, he will find it, and gathering every particle from the dark grave, will raise up therefrom a glorious body.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

rodneyalbert.blogspot.com; You saved my day again.