Monday, August 31, 2009

God Knows Us All

Psalm 139:1-6
1 O lord, thou hast searched me, and known me. 2 Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off. 3 Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways. 4 For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether. 5 Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me. 6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it.


In this great Psalm, the Bible reminds us that we are known by God. The great, eternal, majestic, awesome God knows me and you. We often become proud that we are known by someone important.

Some of my friends and acquaintances have pictures of themselves taken with some politician prominently displayed. Never mind that the politician doesn't know them. It usually got snapped at some rally where they worked or volunteered. But there they are with a president, or governor, or senator. Usually, the famous person doesn't know them at all.

Interestingly, this passage of scripture adamantly declares the truth that God DOES know us. He isn't simply being obliging or congenial like those politicians at those rallies. God really does know us. AND He knows us intimately. When we rise and when we recline.

I think two responses are appropriate.

The first is love and appreciation. If an important dignitary called you to comfort you when you were emotionally distraught, or wrote you a congratulatory letter at some special triumph of yours, your heart would be bonded to that person. We should become endeared toward God.

The second is fear. I'd rather God not know certain things about me. Knowing that He knows should stop me from sinning.

No comments: